1685 Main Street PO Box 1288West Chatham, MA 02669

Insurance professionals that have your back

Call Us 508-945-5244


We are happy to assist you in selecting the best coverage.

Get a Quote


We get you the right coverage for the right price.

Get a Quote


We offer free quotes and dedicated personal service.

Get a Quote
Home » RV Insurance
June 29, 2023

RV Insurance

Your recreational vehicle (RV) allows you to travel the world affordably and conveniently. But like all motor vehicles, owning and operating an RV includes many risks and exposures. Even a single lapse in attention or misjudgment could lead to dangerous incidents and significant losses and damages. Furthermore, RVs often double as temporary or permanent residences, increasing the potential exposures that may affect you and your vehicle. Given these inherent risks, you should fully understand RV insurance to protect your investment.

Are There Specific Insurance Requirements for Different Types of RVs?

RV insurance requirements may differ depending on several factors, including where you are located and where you plan to travel. Most states require specific levels of liability coverage for your vehicle, and many have additional mandates. Coverage requirements may also vary depending on the type of RV you own. Generally, the following are some of the ways RVs may be classified for insurance purposes:

  • Class A—These large motorhomes are beholden to states’ auto insurance requirements, such as minimum liability coverage.
  • Class B—These smaller “camper vans” must adhere to minimum liability laws and other coverage requirements.
  • Class C—These medium-sized motorhomes must be insured per state laws.
  • Fifth wheel—These trailers do not drive themselves but are towed by another vehicle using a fifth-wheel coupling. Liability insurance on the tow vehicle typically extends to the trailer, although other coverage, such as for physical damage, must be purchased separately.

Speak with your licensed insurance agent to determine how insurers may classify your RV and what amounts of RV insurance may be necessary.

Are There Different Insurance Options for Using RVs as Full-time or Part-time Residences?

Your RV insurance needs may depend on how you use your vehicle. If you use your vehicle as a permanent residence—typically defined as living in it for over six months of the year—you may need full-time RV insurance that acts similarly to homeowners insurance. For example, full-time RV insurance may include personal liability coverage for bodily injuries and property damage you cause while the RV is parked.

Part-time RV insurance policies may provide more limited coverage at less expensive rates. These policies are typically designed for drivers who use their RV temporarily and otherwise keep the vehicle in storage. Speak with your agent to learn what part-time coverage entails, as it may vary depending on your policy.

The agents at Cape Wide Insurance can help you determine the appropriate coverage for your circumstances.

How Are RV Insurance Rates Determined?

Like most types of insurance, the cost of adequate RV coverage may vary significantly depending on the vehicle and how it’s used. Insurers must consider many factors when determining risk levels and composing a suitable policy. In general, this will include an analysis of the following criteria:

  • RV details (e.g., type, make, age, condition)
  • Location(s) where the RV will be used
  • Usage habits (e.g., part-time, full-time)
  • Driving record
  • Driving experience
  • Prior claims
  • Policy details (e.g., coverage limits, deductibles)

Get the Right Coverage

At Cape Wide Insurance we have over 20 years of experience helping individuals, families and businesses assess and address their coverage needs. We will draw on our collective knowledge to determine the best RV coverage and ensure you are financially secure while enjoying your adventures. Contact us today to get started.


This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.

Categories: Blog